Mushroom Satay Skewers with Shittake, White and Portabello Mushrooms, served with Spicy Peanut Sauce and Jasmine Rice
For the skewers
100g fresh shiitake mushrooms
100g white or button mushrooms
100g portabello or flat mushrooms
3 tbsp coconut milk
1 shallot, peeled
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2.5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
Pinch of white pepper and salt
Juice of ½ lime
For the spicy peanut sauce
100g unsalted peanuts
1 stalk lemongrass, roughly chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
½ tsp turmeric powder
2.5cm piece ginger
3 shallots, peeled and diced
½ tsp salt
2-4 tbsp caster sugar
400ml coconut milk
1 tsp dried red chilli flakes
2 tbsp garam masala powder
- Wash and trim the mushrooms. Leave the shitake and button mushrooms whole and slice the portabello mushrooms in half (or quarters if they’re very large).
- Put the other skewer ingredients (3 tbsp of coconut milk, shallots, garlic, ginger, white pepper, lime juice and salt) into a food processor and blend until smooth, before transferring to a large bowl. Mix together with the mushrooms and leave them to marinade and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- For the spicy peanut sauce, place the peanuts, lemongrass, garlic, turmeric, ginger, shallots, salt, sugar, remaining coconut milk, dried chillies and garam masala in a food processor and blend to make a thick paste. Add the peanut mixture to a pan and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if the sauce becomes too thick. Add more sugar to taste.
- Place the mushrooms along the small wooden skewers and grill for 5-7 minutes on each side until golden-brown.
- Serve with Jasmine Rice (200g for four people) and the peanut sauce and garnish with spring onions, chillies and wedges of lime.